Goals of "Project:

Being just out of high school, there is much I have come to learn in this past year. I have witnessed the corruption of this world around me with new a understanding; a corruption most of us Americans are oblivious to. It surrounds our everyday lives, so well hidden it envelopes everything we know and rely on. My hopes for this page is that it not only draws attention to these issues, but truly gets people thinking on them.



While many of my posts will be strongly opinion-based, I will do my best to back most of it with fact. As a born again Christian, I will also be honoring God, alone. Iwish to both make people smile and open their eyes.



-"A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another"- John 13:34, KJB.



Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Street Signs- UGH!

      I live on a street corner next to a main road. There is a middle school to my left, high school to my right, and elementary schools up the road front and back. You would think, on this street in particular, where two schools have a year round traffic of kids, there would be four intersection stop signs. Instead, there is one on each side of the residential street, while the main road had the right away and no other stop indicators besides the slow school traffic.
      Normally, I'd imagine this wouldn't be too much of a problem. Except that I live on the oldest part of town, and the roads are small. To top it off, we are really close to city limits, so all of the back road party goers drive through here drunk. May I make note, this was not a good idea on the cities part.
      Already, this intersection has had two major accidents this year. One completely totaled a smaller car, while the lady driving the larger car had a broken wrist. The intersection had to be completely blocked off by police cars and an ambulance, while they tried moving the cars out of the way and getting up as much shattered glass as possible. Residents in the area had to take detours to get to their homes, and pedestrians had to cross the road where there were no crossing marks. (Only three of the paths have walking marks, so if you wanted to go directly across the street from my house you would actually have to cross three times! Again, awful planning.)
      My junior year, I was on Independent Study. This means, for those who don't know, I was my own teacher. I still attended music classes at the high school across town, though. I rode the bus everyday, getting dropped off next to my house across the street, where the middle school has their own bus stop. One day, as I was crossing the street, I looked both ways. The only car coming was over 100 yards up the road. Safe, right? WRONG! The lady was not determined to stop and came 2 inches from my legs! She really almost hit me, I was so mad. How could she NOT have seen me?
      I called the police and the city, suggesting there be a stop sign or street sign put in. They told me it wouldn't happen, even after I shared my story. I'll bet they now regret that. I have now seen a girl almost get hit, a man on a motor chair almost get hit, multiple bikers, and actually did see one biker get hit and thrown off his bike. What will it take for these people to realize this isn't working?

No comments:

Post a Comment